Monday, March 19, 2012

Everything has a Purpose

I write this after having a great weekend with my ponies! I realize that just because I am getting Lily ready to show it doesn't mean that Pickles needs to be on the same path to success. I don't think that Pickles is going to be going to any shows and although it is good for her to have basics it doesn't mean that I need to hold her to the standrds I hold Lily. Pickles LOVES groundwork and trailriding more so than the dressage and jumping. And while she will do the other two she just doesn't seem good at it. She will jump anything I put in front of her but I just don't see us ever going to do the jumpers as I had previously imagined.

With funds not being ample at the moment I need to focus on Lily and maybe use Pickles as my decompressor. Take her for walks around the farm and trail rides with the pups. Hop on bareback and toodle around and not worry if we are where we are supposed to be in my plan. I will of course still let Lily have off days where we dont work on staying in a frame and moving off leg.

It is funny how these things just come to you and you see the world in a different light. Jess and I went on a trailride with the dogs after I had an amazing ride on Lily. I just hopped on Pickles and off we went. Through mud and creeks and trees and she just seemed so happy without a care in the world. Ears forward and walking with anticipation of what might be around the next bend (while occasionally nipping Scoops in the rear). Horses definately have to love their jobs and while she doesn't hate the other stuff, she definately loves toodling with me on sunny days :)

So for the spring and summer at least Pickles has been repurposed to my trail pony and whatever other fun things pop up....

No comments:

Post a Comment